For people with diabetes, finding quality diabetic shoes is a serious issue. With amputation of the lower limbs posing a real threat for sufferers who develop ulcers, it is of fundamental importance that the risk is lowered through the wearing of good quality, specially-designed diabetic shoes, but that does not mean that style is not an issue. Our shoes for diabetics are all designed based on the principles of safety, comfort and style, ensuring that there is a shoe for everyone in our range.
A good pair of shoes will significantly reduce the risk of injuries occurring, minimising the possibility of infection leading on to amputation. Poor fitting shoes can lead to rubbing and ulcers, and as people with diabetes often experience loss of sensation in their feet, they also have a greater risk of failing to notice any injuries they pick up. Because they can also experience decreased blood circulation in their feet, injuries can take longer to heal and can lead on to infection.
Some characteristics of our shoes for diabetics that make them ideal for people with diabetes include:
- They have lots of room, reducing the likelihood of developing pressure ulcers which can be very difficult to treat.
- They are specially designed to have room around the toes and the ball of the foot.
- The inner linings are seamless, minimising the risk of ulcers or blisters.
- The inner linings are also cushioned for added support and protection.
- They are designed with thick contoured outsoles. The sole of the foot is particularly prone to pressure ulcers, and extra cushioning is required to minimise the risk.
- They are all highly breathable. Dry, cracked skin can make diabetics particularly prone to fungal infections.
- They all have low heels to reduce the pressure on the toes.
- They come with good fastening to prevent slipping.
All of our shoes come with all or some of these features so that you are sure to find something that suits you. However, when trying them on remember to always check that the shoe is the proper shape for your foot, and that it fits comfortably. Think about the activities that you will be doing whilst wearing your shoe, and buy one that is appropriate for this. It is very common to have a few different pairs of shoes for different activities or different times of the day.
Our shoes for diabetics range is vast, and we are sure that you will find a model that suits you perfectly. Because every one of our shoes has also been designed with style in mind, your diabetic shoes will not only provide you with comfort and support, but will look great too.